How I Wrote My First Draft in 25 Weeks



How I wrote my first draft in 25 weeks 

 

You may have heard this piece of advice before: Writers Must Write Every Day! 

But if you're like me, that advice is no help. I don't write every day, and I don't think it's necessary to. 

Everyone is different, and how we write will be different. Difference is fine. 

Persistence is key! 

This is how I wrote my first draft in 25 weeks (under six months). 


I didn't write every day, far from it. But I did try to write every week until I was done. 

My first draft was 100,000 words. This means that I averaged around four thousand words per week. That's about two chapters, for me. And it doesn't seem like a huge amount, now I look back on it.

One or two chapters a week is doable.

There were days when I thought I'd never finish the first draft, but I kept writing one chapter at a time. Just one chapter.

Bite-size amounts.

Those words all count toward the end goal!  


This is my method: When I sit down to write, I aim to write a full chapter, or as close as I can get to it. I did this once or twice a week, persistently, for twenty-five weeks.

It all adds up quickly! 

And, having those days off in between writing was just as important. My brain needs time to decompress, and to flesh things out. I tend to imagine my chapter before writing it, so having 'thinking days' in between writing days is important to my writing process. 

Find what works for you. 

Remember: persistence is the key! 

 


(Watch this space for news on my first draft, which is currently in the submissions process!) 

Follow me on Twitter. Follow me on Blue Sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Write If You Have A Cat